About Me

Everyone has a grandmother. A Na-Na, a Mi-Mi, G-ma, Gran-MawMaw, a Pocky, and even a Mamaw. As girls growing up, our creativity was highly influenced by our Mamaw. So all the things we create, obsess over, construct, or do comes from her. Hope you enjoy looking as much as we like doing. This blog is a combined creation of us as sisters, with our Mamaw's Influence.

Nov 16, 2011

13th Century Castle Theater

I am a movie fanatic. I love movies. I could spend more time watching movies than any other hobby I have...which is ALOT!!  ;o) 

So when we started re-doing our home, I asked my husband if he thought a home theater was "do-able".  We had the space (closed in patio collecting junk) and my husband is a wonderful "Jack-of-all-trades". The cost wouldn't be THAT big of a deal...because I'm thrifty! And I was determined to build a Grand Royal Theater on a small budget! We had the time. And we weren't afraid of a little hard work. . . .....ok ... ALOT of HARD work!

After discussing and cussing and discussing some more, we decided to do it!
The thought of a theater in my home brought tears to my eyes! With a small budget of about $2,500 and a credit card limit of $2,000...I knew I had to watch every penny.


This side view shows the screened-in patio
with the rock-walkway.  The sidewalk led to the side door.
(We re-used the sidewalk too!)


We had to tear down the screened in patio. You can see
some of the "collectibles" that lived in there.


This is a better view of the outside.
11' X 25'

Inside in the middle of "demolition"...
everything was re-used elsewhere on our property.
The cedar posts supporting the porch had to be removed
and replaced by 2x4 studs.

other end of the patio...Even the Coke machine had to find
a new home. The walls are going up...
Those windows and door will be re-used.

more of the walls and the frames for the windows.
We re-used the windows we took out of the adjoining wall.
And the screen door and storm door were re-used.

This is the outside view where the 3 windows will be.
Hubby is standing where the re-used back door
will be put in.

Back door installed, insulation installed (partly)
now time to move the windows.




You can see in the top picture where the round part of our
"house" meets the "patio". The lower pic is the new
addition that is now a theater!











view from the other side. 2 of the windows will be 2 four foot wide doorways
(support beam kept it from being one big opening)
and the 3rd window will be blocked in and covered over.

 OK...enough of the boring construction part. It took us 4 months to get to THIS point of decorating.



The lower half of the walls were made
to look like gray castle bricks.

I lined the walls with blue painter's tape.
Spaced evenly, the brick's were 9" X 18" .
The top row were 5" X 9" .
I did this over plain sheetrock...no taping or bedding,
just started decorating.



I put ready-mixed joint compound on
thick! About 1/4 " thick.
I mixed some black paint in with the compound
and smeared it on.
The secret is to pull the tape while it's still wet.
Then I let it set for 2 days to dry before
painting the grout lines.

I opted for black grout lines because I wanted to
"pop" with contrast. The messier I got, the better it
looked. 






This shows the thinner "bricks". But,
overall, the 3-D effect turned into
one of my biggest "wow's"!
It wasn't smoothed at all. I left it
choppy and rough...like brick!

Here's a broader view of the wall with windows.
Those are the windows re-used from
the house side of the room.





I finished the top part of the walls with gold velvet.
Stapled to the top and trimmed with a distressed 1 X 3
Then stapled the gold velvet to the top of the "bricks" and
 covered with a 1 X 3
The curtains were added to cover the "wall of windows"
to darken the room at movie time!





The back wall of the theater (by the back door), was painted
 red, almost maroon red. Then I stamped
gold fluer de lis.
(sorry for poor pic quality)






This is the view from the "director's seat"... mine!  ;o)
I did red velvet on the opposite walls.
4 wall sconces on dimmers for when the movie starts.
The candleabre for looks and theme.
It's 88" X 64"...That's a 110" screen in TV terms.

Close up of the wall sconce I
used to light the theater.
 

These are the chairs for the back-row of the theater.
Found in a thrift store and a garage sale.
Pillows and table were from garage. 


This is looking out the double entry doors into the rest of the house.
When a movie is showing, there's red velvet curtains that are
closed.



This shows a better pic of the back wall. We bought the double theater seats from craigslist for 1/4 of the original cost. The back row chairs were thrift store  finds. The projector was our biggest expense, Dell, $789...on sale!
 



The back surround sound
speaker and a movie reel for decor.

Top of the curtains that cover the 10' of windows.
The sign was a gift from some of my daycare kiddos! 




It was all worth it...
The first movie we watched! It was awe-inspiring and majestic to watch it at home and on a screen that was over 7 foot by 5 foot!
I'm in heaven!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive